The 2014 graduating class of 99 students earned more than $24 million in scholarships., and all students will further their education at the finest colleges, conservatories and professional schools across the state and nation.
Students in every art area are recognized locally, regionally, and nationally for their outstanding talent.
• Two Creative Writing students and two Drama students were selected to attend National YoungArts week in Miami, Florida. There were more than 1,000 applicants in both categories.
• One Creative Writing student made it to the final round of the Presidential Scholar in the Arts competition, the nation’s most prestigious honor for artistically talented students.
• One Dance student placed in the top 24 in the ballet category at the International Ballet Competition’s Youth America Grand Prix.
• Seven Dance seniors attended the National High School Dance Festival in Miami.
• A Drama student was awarded a Bronze medal and $2000 from the National YoungArts Foundation and was selected to perform at the Kennedy Center in June 2014 for the Presidential Scholars 50th Anniversary Gala.
• Two Drama students earned the highly competitive and very prestigious Kenan Scholarship for Excellence in the Arts at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. The scholarship, which covers four years of tuition, fees, room and board, is given to five students annually.
• A Creative Writing student won a $10,000 award and National Gold Medal in the Scholastic Writing Awards competition.
• Two Music students placed first in competitions at the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Mid-Atlantic Regionals.
• Visual Arts students won 12 Gold Keys, 15 Silver Keys and 10 Honorable Mentions at the Southeast Region At Large Scholastic Art Awards competition. Scholastic hosts the nation’s longest running and most prestigious national art competition.
• A Music student was selected to the 2014 High School Honors Performance Series and performed at Carnegie Hall.
• Two Visual Arts Students earned Artistic Merit Awards at the 17th Annual National K12 Ceramic Exhibition.
Posted on Tue, June 17, 2014
by Cathy Jones